The Many Faces of Mt. Whitney

Mt. Whitney - Tuesday morning

Mt. Whitney – Tuesday morning

July 16, 2013    Back from my travels in the Sierras feeling a bit unfulfilled. I got rained out on Mt. Whitney on Thursday. I’ll do a longer post later in the week, but with a wilderness pass for last Thursday (7/11), my window of opportunity closed quickly. I’ve learned from personal experience not to try to out-macho a 14,500 foot mountain. As I drove up the mountain toward the Whitney Portal Tuesday morning, there wasn’t a cloud in the sky and Whitney looked benign. How quickly things changed. It started clouding up on Wednesday, sprinkled a little late in the afternoon, then it rained all night – not hard, but I figured that if it was unsettled at 8,200′, it wasn’t going to be better six thousand feet higher. Here are some photos as the day progressed.

Wednesday morning, 9:23 a.m.

Main trail below Carillon Creek and North Fork of Lone Pine Creek

Main trail below Carillon Creek and North Fork of Lone Pine Creek

Thursday, just past noon as I drove from camp down to Lone Pine

Mt. Whitney behind the clouds

Mt. Whitney behind the clouds


Mt. Whitney

Finally, at sunset on Thursday.  Still unsettled, but magnificent

Mt. Whitney (6:30 pm)

Mt. Whitney (6:30 pm)

Mt. Whitney - 7:45 pm

Mt. Whitney – 7:45 pm


About victorvolta

I am a freelance photographer/writer based in the San Francisco Bay Area. I grew up in the very suburban city of Santa Clara. Education: San Jose State University (class of '84) BA degree in Journalism with concentrations in Photojournalism and English. Favorite Foods: Ribeye steaks and Stan's Doughnuts (separate plates, usually). Favorite Drinks: Strong gourmet coffee and Trader Joe's Blood Orange Italian Soda (separate cups).
This entry was posted in Local Hikes, Miscellaneous, Mt. Whitney, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to The Many Faces of Mt. Whitney

  1. Mona says:

    Natural beauty…… Awesome.

  2. cerrosolo says:

    Sorry you didn’t get to do the hike, but good job on not testing the mountain. We’re planning to do the hike in a few weeks. With the amount of time and prep involved, I know it’ll be a very hard decision if we experience similar conditions. But, it’s really the only choice. Thanks for your post and the excellent photos.

    • victorvolta says:

      Thank you for taking the time to view my blog and comment. Yes, it is a tough decision, but I’m confident I made the right choice, especially after some of my other hiking compadres informed me it was snowing at the summit at mid-day. I’ve been on the mountain during violent thunderstorms and it’s a harrowing, humbling experience. Best of luck with your attempt.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s